UPDATE # 3: Sunday, November 4: Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on October 31, 2012
As noted in a previous post, blogging is light this week due to an injury. I’ll return to posting commentaries on the daily readings this Sunday. Here are some daily resources from other sites you may wish to consult.
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 4
THIRTY-FIRST SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Mass Readings in the RNAB Translation. Used in the USA.
- Mass Readings in the NJB Translation. Used in most English speaking countries. Scroll down. I’ve seen conflicting reports concerning whether or not it is the JB, or the NJB that is currently used in most English speaking nations. If anyone knows of a Bishop’s Conference site that has a set up similar to the US Bishop’s site linked above (but using the JB or NJB), please let me know.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
GENERAL RESOURCES: sites that usually deal with the readings as a whole. Commentaries on the individual readings further below.
- Word Sunday. The readings in both and literal translation, notes on the text, podcast, children’s reading.
- Sacerdos. Gives the theme of the readings, the doctrinal message, and pastoral application.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background on the readings. Can be printed out, copied, and used as bulletin insert.
- Scripture Speaks. I’ve linked to the archive. This Sunday’s post not yet available.
- The Bible Workshop. Not yet available.
- The Wednesday Word. It’s about the Sunday readings, but the document is posted on Wednesday, hence the name. Designed for prayer and reflection, the pdf document ends with Father Dom Henry Wansbrough’s reflections on the first and second readings. Fr. Wansbrough is General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible and contributed commentaries on Matt, Mark, and the Pastorals in A New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture.
- St Charles Borromeo Parish’s Bible Study Notes. Notes on all the readings, usually with some background info as well.
- Sacred Page Blog. Not yet available. Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma’s reflections on the readings and psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Deuteronomy 6:2-6.
- My Notes on Deuteronomy 6:2-6. Begins with verse 1.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Ps 18:2-3, 3-4, 47, 51.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Hebrews 7:23-28.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Mark 12:28-34.
- Sacred Page Podcast. Catholic biblical scholar Dr. Michael Barber looks at the Sunday readings.
- St Martha’s Parish Podcast. Looks at all of the readings in some detail.
- Dr. Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Brief. Does goo job of highlighting major theme(s). text available.
- (1) Father Mike’s Bible Study Podcast on Deuteronomy. An introduction to Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.
- (2) Father Mike’s Bible Study Podcast on Hebrews. Introduction to James and Hebrews.
- (3) Father Mike’s Bible Study Podcast on Mark. Introduction.
- (1) Father Philips’ Podcast on Hebrews. On 6-9-7:28.
- (2) Father Philips’ Podcast on Mark . On 11:22-12:34.
- St Irenaeus Ministries Podcast on Hebrews. On chapter 7.
- Sunday Gospel Scripture Study. Looks at the Gospel in detail.
- Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study Podcast. Looks at all the readings.
- Father Francis Martin’s Reflections on the Readings. 4 videos, each approximately 15 minutes long. The last three deal with the readings, the first is introductory. The link is time sensitive.
- Father Robert Barron’s Podcast Homily. From the noted speaker, author, theologian.
TWENTY-THIRD SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica XXIII Post Pentecosten I. Novembris ~ II. classis
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Be sure correct date is set.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: Philippians 3:17-21, 4:1-3.
- My Notes on Philippians 3:17-4:3. does not yet include notes on 4:2-3, will update.
- Navarre Bible Commentary on Philippians 3:17-4:3. Posted for a different occasion. Lacks notes on 4:2-3.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Matthew 9:18-26.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES:
- Our Conversation in Heaven: Aquinas’ Homily Notes on the Epistle. On Philippians 3:20.
- Pending: True Repentance: Aquinas’ Homily Notes on the Gospel. On Matthew 9:20.
- The Resurrection of the Dead: Father Zollner. Gospel homily.
- A Homily on Cemeteries: Father Zollner. Gospel homily.
- Death, A Sleep: Father Zollner. Gospel homily.
- When Must We Think of Death?: Father Zollner. Gospel homily.
- The Death of the Just Man: Father Zollner. Gospel homily.