Sunday, May 13: Mass Resources for the Sixth Sunday of Easter (Ordinary Form) and for the Fifth Sunday of Easter (Extraordinary Form)
Posted by Dim Bulb on May 10, 2012
This post contains resources (mostly biblical and homiletic) for the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite. The post is not yet complete and will be updated several times throughout the remainder of the week. Keep in mind that in the OF this Sunday is termed the Sixth Sunday of Easter, while in the EF it is termed the Fifth Sunday after Easter. The former emphasizes Easter Sunday as part of the Easter season, while the latter emphasizes Easter Sunday as the start of the Easter season; it is, of course, both.
SIXTH SUNDAY OF EASTER
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Today’s Mass Readings (NJB). The New Jerusalem Bible is the translation used for the readings in most English speaking countries.
NOTES, COMMENTARIES, BLOG POSTS ON THE READINGS IN GENERAL: Commentaries on particular readings listed further below.
- Word Sunday. Brief notes on the readings.
- Sacerdos. Theme of the readings, doctrinal message, pastoral application.
- St Charles Borromeo Parish Bible Study Notes. Helpful notes prepared for their own bible study classes, apparently.
- The Bible Workshop. Includes links to a couple of other resources, a comparison of the readings, and suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily). Originally posted in 2009.
- UPDATE: All You Need is Love. Blog post on the readings by Catholic biblical Scholar Dr. John Bergsma.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Acts 10:25-26, 34-35, 44-48
- Pending: Bishop MacEvily’s Commentary on Acts 10:25-26, 34-35, 44-48.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL PSALM: Ps 98:1, 2-3, 3-4.
- Pope John Paul II’s Commentary on Psalm 98. On whole psalm.
- St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 98. On whole Psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: 1 John 4:7-10.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: John 15:9-17.
- St Thomas Aquinas’ Lectures on John 15:9-17. Read lectures 2 & 3.
CHILDREN AND TEEN RESOURCES:
- Proclaiming the Faith. Grade school level.
- 1. Faith First: Catechist’s Preparation. Includes a brief presentation of the meaning of the readings and a note on a specific doctrine.
- 2. Faith First: Primary Level. Grades 1-3, I think.
- 3. Faith First: Intermediate Level. Grades 4-6, I think.
- St Martha’s Bible Study Podcast. Usually looks at all of the readings in some detail.
- Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study Podcast. Looks at all the readings.
- Dr. Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Very brief. Does could job summarizing major the theme(s) of the readings. Text available.
- Father McBride’s Podcast on Acts. Listen to episode 6.
- Father Philips’s Podcast on Acts 9:26-11:21. Scroll down to the Acts podcasts and click on part 6.
- Sunday Gospel Scripture Study. Looks at the Gospel in detail.
- St Irenaeus Ministries Podcast on John 15:9-17. Actually, this podcast begins with 15:9, the start of today’s gospel reading, and continues through chapter 17.Click on the POD icon or “direct download”.
- UPDATE: Sacred Page Podcast on Jesus, the Servant, and His Sacrificial Love in John. By Catholic biblical scholar Dr Michael Barber.
- Father Barron’s Homily Podcast. Noted theologian and speaker.
- Father Altier’s Homily. Text available further below under “Homilies and Homily Notes.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES:
- Torch. Dominican website.
- Catholic Doors Ministry. Text.
- Augustinian Friends. Text.
- Sunday Soundbite. Audio or text. Brief.
- Father Robert Altier’s Homily. Audio available above under “Podcasts”.
FIFTH SUNDAY AFTER EASTER
READINGS AND MISSAL:
- Roman Missal. Latin & English side by side. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Latin and English side by side. Be sure correct date is set.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON (Epistle): James 1:22-27.
- Navarre Bible Commentary on James 1:22-27. Actually begins at vs. 19.
- Haydock Bible Commentary on James 1:22-27. Very basic.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: John 16:23-30.
- Aquinas’ Lectures on the Gospel (John 16:23-30). Read lectures 6, 7, & 8.
HOMILY NOTES: Useful for sermon ideas, points of meditation or further study.
- Homily on the Epistle. On hearing the Word of God.
- Homily on the Gospel. The Consoling Promises of Christ.