Sunday, July 8 2012~Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on July 3, 2012
This post contains resources (biblical and homiletic) for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite. I hope to add several more items to both forms during the remainder of the week.
FOURTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Today’s Mass Readings in the NAB. Used mostly in the U.S.
- Today’s Mass Readings in the NJB. Used in most other English speaking countries. Scroll down slightly to find. For some reason they have the Gospel reading before the second reading.
Update: GENERAL RESOURCES: On the readings in general. Commentaries on specific readings listed below.
- Hard-Hearted and Stiff-Necked. A blog post on the readings by Biblical Scholar Dr. John Bergsma of the Sacred Page.
- Sacerdos. Treats of the theme of the readings, the doctrinal message and pastoral application.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Ezekiel 2:2-5.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL PSALM: Psalm 123:1-2, 2, 3-4.
- St Augustine’s Notes on the Responsorial Psalm (123). On whole psalm.
- St Albert the Great’s Commentary on the Responsorial Psalm (123). On whole Psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: 2 Corinthians 12:7-10.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Mark 6:1-6.
- Update: Homilist’s Catechism on Mark 6:1-6).
SIXTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: Romans 6:3-11.
- Bernardin de Piconio’s Commentary on Today’s Lesson (Rom 6:3-11). This post includes commentary on all of chapter 6.
- Aquinas’ Lectures on Today’s Lesson (Rom 6:3-11). Pdf document. Go to page 239 and read lectures 1-3.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Mark 8:1-9.
- Aquinas’ Catena Aurea on Today’s Gospel (Mark 8:1-9). Previously posted. This post is actually on verses 1-10.
HOMILY NOTES: The following four homily notes can be used for sermon ideas, points of meditation, further study.
- Homily Notes on Baptism. (Epistle theme).
- Homily Notes on the Resurrection of the Body. (Epistle theme).
- Homily Notes on Providence. (Gospel theme).
- Homily Notes on Grounds for Confidence in God. (Gospel theme).