Sunday, July 22, 2012: Mass Resource (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on July 17, 2012
This post contains resources (mostly biblical commentaries) on the readings for this Sunday’s Mass and includes the readings for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite (please note the readings differ in the two forms). Updates for both forms will be added before Saturday evening.
SIXTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND OFFICE:
UPDATE: GENERAL RESOURCES: On the readings in general. Commentaries on the individual readings can be found further below.
- The Good Shepherd Teaches the Flock. Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma’s reflections on the readings.
- Sacerdos. Give the theme of the readings, the doctrinal message and suggested pastoral applications.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background. Can be printed, copied and used for bulletin inserts.
- Word Sunday. Notes on the readings, a podcast, children’s reading, family activity.
- Living Space. Reflection on the readings.
- The Bible Workshop. Links to relevant articles, reading guide, comparing (i.e., relating) the readings, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., for a homily).
- Christian Leadership Center. Ecumenical site. Highlights some themes of the readings.
- Dr Scott Hahn Podcast. Brief audio highlights major theme(s).
- Update: St Martha’s Podcast. Looks at the readings in some detail.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Jeremiah 23:1-6
- St Irenaeus Minsitries Podcast Study of Jeremiah 23:1-6. Episode begins with 23:13. Click on th POD button or the direct download link to listen.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL PSALM: Psalm 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6
- Update: How to Know Jesus. Reflection on the Psalm from Presentation Ministries.
- Update: Changing Shepherds. Also from Presentation Ministries.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Ephesians 2:13-18
- Father Betrand’s Commentary on Ephesians 2:13-18. Pdf document. The commentary in on verses 1-22. Text of commentary on today’s verses begins at the bottom of book page 100, or, the Pdf document page 19.
- Update: The Invisible Fence. Reflection on the reading from Presentation Ministries.
- Update: Peace Talks. Also from Presentation Ministries.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Mark 6:30-34
- Update: Daily Gospel. Commentary by St Clement of Alexandria.
- Update: Food and Love. Reflection on the Gospel from Presentation Ministries.
EIGHTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica VIII Post Pentecosten ~ II. classis
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: Rom 8:12-17.
- Lectures on Romans by St Thomas Aquinas (mouse over the middle bottom of the screen and a box with the page numbers will appear. It will read 1 / 610. Erase the 1 and type in 308 then press your ENTER key. This will take you to lecture 2 on romans 8; read it and lecture 3.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Luke 16:1-9.
HOMILIES, TREATISE, OTHER STUFF:
- Homily on Rom 8:12-13 By St John Chrysostom
- Homily on the Epistle By Bishop Bonomelli.
- Homily Notes on Romans 8:13. Fr. George Howe.
- Aquinas’ Homily Notes on Romans 8:13. By St Thomas Aquinas.
- The Christian Stewardship. Homily on Luke 16:2.
- On Restitution. Homily on Luke 16:3.
- Homily on the Gospel. By Bishop Bonomelli.
- On Works and Alms (Treatise 8) by St Cyprian of Carthage.
- Who is the Rich Man That Shall Be Saved? by St Clement of Alexandria. Deals with a gospel passage different from today’s reading but does contain a lot of useful things.
- The Danger of Riches John Henry Newman.
- Pending: The Roman Catechism Issued by Council of Trent.
- Summa of Theology 2a. 2ae. 62 (Hereafter ST.) On making restitution.
- ST. 2a. 2ae. 32 On almsgiving.
- ST 2a. 2ae. 117 On liberality.
- ST 2a. 2ae 119 On prodigality.