Sunday, July 29: Reources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on July 23, 2012
This post is not yet complete. Some posts are listed as “pending” and will be supplied during the course of the week. Other resources will also be added.
This post contains resources (biblical and homiletic) for this Sunday’s Mass according to both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Rite.
SEVENTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND OFFICE:
UPDATE: GENERAL RESOURCES: On the readings in general. Commentaries on the individual readings can be found further below.
- Sacerdos. Gives themes of the readings, doctrinal message, pastoral application.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background on the readings.
- Word Sunday. Notes on the readings, podcast, children’s reading, family activity.
- Living Space. Reflections on the readings.
- The Bible Workshop. Besides links to several relevant articles the site include a guide for reading the texts, a comparison of the readings, and suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- Christian Leadership Center. Ecumenical site oriented towards homiletics.
- Dr Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Very brief. Does good job of highlighting major theme(s) of the readings. Time sensitive link.
- UPDATE: The Prophet who Feeds the New Israel. Blog post on the readings by Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: 2 Kings 4:42-44.
- My Notes on 2 Kings 4:42-44.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL PSALM: Ps 145:10-11, 15-16, 17-18.
- St Albert the Great’s Commentary on Psalm 145. Incorrectly identified as psalm 144 by the site.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Eph 4:1-6.
- St Thomas Aquinas Lectures on Ephesians 4:1-6. See the first 2 lectures on chapter 4. Scripture readings in Greek and English side by side. Lecture in Latin and English side by side.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READINGS: John 6:1-15.
NINTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English.Be sure correct date is set.
- Goffine’s Devout Instructions on the Epistle and Gospel. Basic instructions on the readings.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: 1 Cor 10:6-13.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Luke 19:41-47.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES:
- The Ruin of the Spiritual Jerusalem. Homily on the Gospel.
- The Day of Our Visitation. Homily on the Gospel.
- The Brazen Serpent. Homily notes on 1 Cor 10:9.
- Pending: Homily Notes on the Epistle.
- Pending: The Beauty of God’s House. Homily notes on Luke 19:46.
- Pending: The House of God. Homily notes on Luke 19:46.