Sunday, August 19 2012: Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on August 14, 2012
This post contains resources (mostly biblical and homiletic) for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite. Updates will be added during the remainder of the week.
TWENTIETH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND OFFICE:
UPDATE: GENERAL RESOURCES: On the Readings as a whole. Commentaries, etc., on the individual readings listed further below.
- The Feast of Wisdom. Catholic biblical scholar, Dr. John Bergsma, gives his reflections on the readings.
- Word Sunday. Notes on the readings, podcast, children’s reading, family activity.
- Sacerdos. Give the theme of the readings, doctrinal message, pastoral application.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background.
- The Bible Workshop. A few links to related resources, a reading guide to the Gospel, a comparison of the readings highlighting connections between them, a suggested lesson (i.e., homily).
- Wednesday Word. So called because its issued on Wednesdays, though it deals with the Sunday readings. Designed for prayer and reflection, the pdf document ends with Father Dom Henry Wansbrough’s reflections on the first and second readings. Fr. Wansbrough is General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible and contributed commentaries on Matt, Mark, and the Pastorals in A New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture.
- Update: Wine, Women, and Song: A Meditation on the Readings. Blog post by Monsignor Charles Pope.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Proverbs 9:1-6.
- Pending: Haydock Bible Commentary on Today’s First Reading.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL PSALM: Ps 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7.
- St Augustine on Today’s Responsorial (Ps 34). Entire psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Eph 5:15-20.
- Bishop MacEvily’s Commentary on Today’s Second Reading (Eph 5:15-20). Includes vs. 21.
- Father Callan’s Commentary on Today’s Second Reading (Eph 5:15-20). Includes vs. 21.
- Update: Speaking of Scripture Blog. An excerpt from Dr. Peter Willaimson’s outstanding Commentary on Ephesians, part of the New Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture which he co-edits. Unfortunately, the brief excerpts can’t do the series justice.
- Update: St John Chrysostom’s Commentary on Today’s Second Reading (Eph 5:15-20). Includes 21.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: John 6:51-58.
- Aquinas’ Catena Aurea on John 6:51-58. On 47-59 actually.
- St Cyril of Alexandria’s Commentary on John 6:51-58. On 48-59 actually.
- Navarre Bible Commentary on John 6:51-58. On 51-59.
- Update: Homilist’s Catechism on John 6:51-58.
- Dr. Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Brief audio. Highlights main theme(s). Text available.
- EWTN’s Podcast Study of Proverbs. This series by Fr. Mitch Pacwa doesn’t deal with today’s first reading, but how many of you are really familiar with the Book of Proverbs.
- St Martha’s Bible Study Podcast. Usually looks at the readings in some detail.
- St Martha’s Gospel Reflections. Fairly brief reflections.
- Father Robert Barron’s Homily. From a noted theologian and speaker.
- Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study Podcast on John. Listen to the episode on 6:43-7:31.
- EWTN’s Gospel of John Podcast Study. Dr. Tim Gray. Listen to episode 6.
- The Bread From Heaven. A study of John 6 from St Irenaeus Ministries.
TWELFTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica XII Post Pentecosten III. Augusti ~ II. classis
READINGS AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: 2 Cor 3:4-9.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Luke 10:23-37.
- Part 1: Navarre Bib. Comm. on Luke 10:23-24. Actually on 21-24.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES ON THE LESSON AND THE GOSPEL:
- True Motives for the Love of Our Neighbor. Homily by Fr. Augustine Wirth (A.D. 1828-1901).
- The Love of Our Enemies. Homily by Fr. Augustine Wirth (A.D. 1828-1901).
- Homily on the Epistle. By Bishop Bonomelli (A.D. 1831-1914).
- Homily on the Gospel. By Bishop Bonomelli (A.D. 1831-1914).
- Secret Workings of Grace. (Epistle).
- Parable of the Good Samaritan. (Gospel).