Sunday, September 2 2012: Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on August 27, 2012
This post contains biblical and homiletic resources for this Sunday’s Mass for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite. It is not yet complete and I hope to add some podcasts under the Ordinary Form, and some more homilies and homily notes under the Extraordinary Form. I hope to add a few more commentaries as well.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 2, 2012
TWENTY-SECOND SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND MISSAL:
- Readings in the New Revised American Bible. Used in the USA.
- Readings in the New Jerusalem Bible. Used in most other English speaking countries. Scroll down slightly to find. For some reason the Epistle reading follows after the Gospel.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
GENERAL RESOURCES: On the readings as a whole. Commentaries on individual readings further below.
- Word Sunday. The readings in both and literal translation, notes on the text, podcast, children’s reading.
- Sacerdos. Gives the theme of the readings, the doctrinal message, and pastoral application.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background on the readings. Can be printed out, copied, and used as bulletin insert.
- The Bible Workshop. Links to several relevant articles, contains a reading guide to the gospel text, a comparison of the readings, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- The Wednesday Word. I’m not sure why it’s called “The Wednesday Word” since it deals with the Sunday readings. Designed for prayer and reflection, the pdf document ends with Father Dom Henry Wansbrough’s reflections on the first and second readings. Fr. Wansbrough is General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible and contributed commentaries on Matt, Mark, and the Pastorals in A New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture.
- Father Francis Martin’s Reflections on the Readings. Week 22 not yet posted. A video in 4 parts, each approximately 15 minutes long. The last three deal with the readings, the first is introductory. The link may be time sensitive.
- Update: Faithfulness to the Word of God. From Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma of the Sacred Page Blog.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Deuteronomy 4:1-2, 6-8.
- Pending: My Notes on Deut 4:1-2, 6-8.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Ps 15:2-3, 3-4, 4-5.
- St Thomas Aquinas’ Lecture on Psalm 15. On entire psalm.
- Pope John Paul II’s Commentary on Psalm 15. On entire psalm.
- Pending: St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 15. On entire psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: James 1:17-18, 21b-22, 27.
- My Notes on James 1:17-18, 21b-22, 27. On 17-27.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Mk 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23.
- Update: Speaking of Scripture Blog. An excerpt from Mary Healy’s Commentary on Mark, part of the new series Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture. Healy is one of the co-editors.
St Martha’s Parish Bible Study Podcast. Usually looks at all the Sunday readings in some detail.
St Martha’s Parish Reflections on the Sunday Readings. Usually less than ten minutes in length. Usually on the Gospel.
Sunday Gospel Scripture Study. Video. Looks at the Gospel in depth.
Dr. Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Very brief. Does good job of highlighting the major theme(s) of the readings.
Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study Podcast. Scroll down and click on the link “chapters 6-7.”
Father Robert Barron’s Podcast Homily. From the noted theologian and speaker.
FOURTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica XIV Post Pentecosten I. Septembris ~ II. classis
Missal and Breviary:
- Today’s Roman Missal. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: Gal 5:16-24.
- Pending: Bishop MacEvily’s Commentary on Galatians 5:16-24.
- St Thomas Aquinas’ Lectures on Galatians 5:16-24. Read lectures 4-7.
- Navarre Bible Commentary on Galatians 5:16-24. Includes 25.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Matt 6:24-33.
- Bishop Knecht’s Practical Commentary on Matthew 6:24-33. Includes 24.
- Navarre Bible Commentaryon Matthew 6:24-33. Includes 24.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES:
- The Service of God an Easy Service. Homily on the Gospel by Fr. Augustine Wirth, O.S.B., a famed preacher of his day.
- Avarice. Gospel homily also by Fr. Wirth.
- Homily on the Epistle. By Bishop Bonomelli, a famed preacher of his day.
- Homily on the Gospel. Also by Bishop Bonomelli. Starts near bottom of page.
MORE HOMILIES AND NOTES PENDING.