Sunday, September 16: Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on September 11, 2012
This post is not yet complete. I hope to have some podcast and general resource links up by Wednesday night. I hope to have my own notes on Isaiah up by Thursday evening.
TWENTY-FOURTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Mass Readings (NAB). USA.
- Mass Readings (NJB). Scroll down. I’ve seen conflicting reports concerning whether or not it is the JB, or the NJB that is currently used in most English speaking nations. If anyone knows of a Bishop’s Conference site that has a set up similar to the US Bishop’s site linked above (but using the JB or NJB), please let me know.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
Update: GENERAL RESOURCES: Individual sites that usually deal with the readings as a whole. Commentaries on the individual readings further below.
- Sacred Page Blog: The Paradox of Discipleship. Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma give his reflection on this Sunday’s readings.
- Word Sunday. The readings in both and literal translation, notes on the text, podcast, children’s reading.
- Sacerdos. Gives the theme of the readings, the doctrinal message, and pastoral application.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background on the readings. Can be printed out, copied, and used as bulletin insert.
- The Bible Workshop. Links to several relevant articles, contains a reading guide to the gospel text, a comparison of the readings, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- The Wednesday Word. It’s about the Sunday readings, but the document is posted on Wednesday, hence the name. Designed for prayer and reflection, the pdf document ends with Father Dom Henry Wansbrough’s reflections on the first and second readings. Fr. Wansbrough is General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible and contributed commentaries on Matt, Mark, and the Pastorals in A New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture.
- St Charles Borromeo Parish’s Bible Study Notes. Notes on all the readings, usually with some background info as well.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Isaiah 50:5-9a.
- My Notes on Isaiah 50:5-9a. Pending.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL PSALM: Ps 116:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9. Please note that the USCCB website has mislabeled this psalm 114.
- Father Boylan’s Introduction to Psalm 116. On entire psalm.
- St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 116. Pending.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: James 2:14-18.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Mark 8:27-35.
- EWTN Podcast on Mark. Listen to episode 8 which shows the connection between the two-stage healing of the blind man and Peter’s less than clear insight into what it means that Jesus is the Christ.
- Dr. Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Brief overview of the readings. Usually does a good job of highlighting the major theme(s) of the readings.
- Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study Podcast. Listen to the podcast on Chapters 8-9.
- St Martha’s Parish Bible Study Podcast. Looks at all the readings in some detail.
- Reflections on the Gospel from St Martha’s Parish. Brief reflection focusing on the gospel.
- Father Francis Martin’s Reflections on the Sunday Readings. A video in 4 parts, each approximately 15 minutes long. The last three deal with the readings, the first is introductory. The link is time sensitive.
- Father Barron’s Podcast Homily#610: Faith Perfected by Love. A noted speaker and theologian.
SIXTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica XVI Post Pentecosten III. Septembris ~ II. classis
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: Eph 3:13-21.
- A Devout Commentary on Ephesians 3:13-21. A popularized/simplified version of St Thomas Aquinas’ lectures on Ephesians (see below).
- St Thomas Aquinas’ Lectures on Ephesians: In two parts~
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Luke 14:1-11.
- Navarre Commentary on Luke 14:1-11 in two parts~
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES:
- Homily on the Epistle. By Bishop Bonomelli.
- St Paul Exhorts and Prays for the Ephesians. Homily on the Epistle by Father Johann Evangelist Zollner.
- The Sanctification of Sundays and Holy Days. A sermon on the gospel by Fr. Augustine Wirth, O.S.B.
- Pride. Another gospel sermon by Fr. Augustine Wirth.
- Homily on the Gospel. By Bishop Bonomelli.
- Christ Heals the Man With Dropsy, Counsels Humility. Homily on the Gospel by J.E. Zollner.
- The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Dogmatic Homily on the Gospel by J.E. Zollner.
- How We Are to Sanctify Sundays and Holy Days. Symbolic Homily on the Gospelby J.E. Zollner.
- On Pride. Moral Homily on the Gospel by J.E. Zollner.
- The Sanctification of Sundays and Holy Days. Moral homily on the Gospel by J.E. Zollner.