Sunday, September 23: Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on September 19, 2012
This post contains resources (mostly biblical and homiletic) for this Sunday’s Mass, Sept. 23 2012. These resources include both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite. Posts pending and further updates will be added during the remainder of the week.
TWENTY-FIFTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME, YEAR B
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Readings Form the Revised New American Bible. Used in USA.
- Mass Readings (NJB). Used in most English speaking countries. Scroll down. I’ve seen conflicting reports concerning whether or not it is the JB, or the NJB that is currently used in most English speaking nations. If anyone knows of a Bishop’s Conference site that has a set up similar to the US Bishop’s site linked above (but using the JB or NJB), please let me know.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
GENERAL RESOURCES: Individual sites that usually deal with the readings as a whole. Commentaries on the individual readings further below.
- Sacred Page Blog: Gentleness in the Midst of Suffering. Reflections on the readings by Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma.
- Word Sunday. The readings in both and literal translation, notes on the text, podcast, children’s reading.
- Sacerdos. Gives the theme of the readings, the doctrinal message, and pastoral application.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background on the readings. Can be printed out, copied, and used as bulletin insert.
- More pending.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Wisdom 2:12, 17-20.
- My Notes on Wisdom 2:12, 17-20. Actually on 2:1, 12-22.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Ps 54:3-4, 5, 6 and 8.
- My Notes on Psalm 54:3-9. These are rather brief. I will expand them if I have the time.
- St Thomas Aquinas’ Lecture on Psalm 54. On entire psalm.
- Pending: St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 54. On entire psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: James 3:16-4:3.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Mark 9:30-37.
- For more on Mark see below under PODCASTS.
PODCASTS: Commentaries, homilies, reflections, etc.
- Sunday Gospel Scripture Study. On Mark 9:30-37. Video. Outstanding.
- EWTN Podcast: The Way to Follow Jesus. On Mark’s Gospel. Listen to episode 8. Looks at the relation between the healing of the blind man and the disciples lack of understanding concerning the Passion predictions.
- Father Francis Martin’s Reflections on the Sunday Readings. A video in 4 parts, each approximately 15 minutes long. The last three deal with the readings, the first is introductory. The link may be time sensitive.
- Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study Podcast. Listen to the podcast on Chapters 8-9 on Mark.
- St Martha’s Parish Bible Study Podcast. Looks at the readings in some detail.
- Reflections on the Gospel from St Martha’s Parish. Perhaps 5 minutes long.
- Father Barron’s Podcast Homily. I’ve linked to his archive. This week’s homily not yet available.
SEVENTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica XVII Post Pentecosten IV. Septembris ~ II. classis
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Devout Instructions on the Epistle and Gospel. Starts near bottom of the page. Contains brief instruction on the readings.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: Eph 4:1-6.
- St Thomas Aquinas Lectures on Ephesians 4:1-6. See the first 2 lectures on chapter 4. Scripture readings in Greek and English side by side. Lecture in Latin and English side by side.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Matt 22:35-46.
- More Commentaries pending.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES:
- Homily on the Epistle. By Bishop Bonomelli.
- Admonition to Unity. Homily on the Epistle.
- Homily on the Gospel. Bishop Bonomelli.
- The Argument of Divine Love. Homily on the Gospel.
- Christian Self-Love. Homily on the Gospel.
- Questions Relating to the Greatest Commandment. Homily on the Gospel.
- Christ True God and True Man. Homily on the Gospel.
- Why We Must Love God. Homily on the Gospel.
- How Must We Love God? Homily on the Gospel.