Sunday, September 30, 2012~Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on September 25, 2012
TWENTY-SIXTH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND OFFICES:
- Mass Readings in the RNAB Translation. Used in the USA.
- Mass Readings in the NJB Translation. Used in most English speaking countries. Scroll down. I’ve seen conflicting reports concerning whether or not it is the JB, or the NJB that is currently used in most English speaking nations. If anyone knows of a Bishop’s Conference site that has a set up similar to the US Bishop’s site linked above (but using the JB or NJB), please let me know.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
GENERAL RESOURCES: sites that usually deal with the readings as a whole. Commentaries on the individual readings further below.
- Sacred Page Blog: Sin is No Match for the Spirit of God. Reflections on the readings by Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma.
- Word Sunday. The readings in both and literal translation, notes on the text, podcast, children’s reading.
- Sacerdos. Gives the theme of the readings, the doctrinal message, and pastoral application.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background on the readings. Can be printed out, copied, and used as bulletin insert.
- Update: Scripture Speaks. Looks at the readings beginning with the Gospel.
- More pending.
COMMENTARIES & NOTES ON THE FIRST READING: Num 11:25-29.
- Pending (Maybe): My Notes on Numbers 11:25-29.
- Update: On the Way to the Promised Land. Scroll down slightly for the links. I suggest reading the entire essay but for the purpose of today’s first reading begin by clicking on the link “Testing in the Wilderness” and read through to the end. This will help situate the Number’s reading in its broader (and important) context.
COMMENTARIES & NOTES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Psalm 19:8, 10, 12-13, 14.
- St Thomas Aquinas’ Lecture on Psalm 19. On entire psalm.
- St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 19. On entire psalm.
- Pope John Paul II’s Commentary on Psalm 19. On entire psalm.
COMMENTARIES & NOTES ON THE SECOND READING: James 5:1-6.
COMMENTARIES & NOTES ON THE GOSPEL: Mk 9:38-43, 45, 47-48.
PODCASTS & VIDEOS:
- St Martha’s Parish Bible Study Podcast on the Readings. Looks at the readings in some detail.
- Reflections on the Readings from St Martha’s Parish. Usually just a few minutes long.
- Dr. Scott Hahn’s Podcast. A 3 minute overview. Does good job of highlighting the major theme(s) of the readings.
- Fr. Francis Martin’s Reflection on the Readings. A video in 4 parts, each approximately 15 minutes long. The last three deal with the readings, the first is introductory. The link may be time sensitive.
- (1) Fr. Mike’s Bible Study Podcast on Numbers. Introduction to Lev., Num., Deut.
- (2) Fr. Mike’s Bible Study Podcast on James. Introduction to Hebrews and James.
- (3) Fr. Mikes Bible Study Podcast on Mark. Introduction.
- Sunday Gospel Scriptures Study. Video. On the Gospel.
- Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study On Mark. Begins at 9:33 and goes thru chap. 10.
- Father Barron’s Podcast Homily. I’ve linked to his archive. As of Tuesday this week’s homily not yet available.
EIGHTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica XVIII Post Pentecosten V. Septembris ~ II. classis
MISSAL AND OFFICE:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Devout Instructions on the Epistle and Gospel. Contains brief instruction on the readings.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: 1 Cor 1:4-8.
- Cornelius a Lapide’s Commentary on 1 Cor 1:4-8. On verse 1-9.
- My Notes on 1 Cor 1:4-8. On 4-9.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Matt 9:1-8.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES:
- Homily on the Epistle. Bishop Bonomelli.
- The Graces Which the Corinthians Had Received and Might Yet Expect. Homily on the Epistle.
- Homily on the Gospel. Starts near bottom of the page. Bishop Bonomelli.
- On the Evil of Concealing Sin. Homily on the Gospel.
- Blasphemy. Homily on the Gospel.
- Twofold Healing of the Mas Sick of the Palsy. Homily on the Gospel.
- The Remission of Sins. Homily on the Gospel.
- Similarity of Us Christians and the Man Sick of the Palsy. Homily on the Gospel.
- Unchaste Thoughts and Desires. Homily on the Gospel.
- On Blasphemy. Not the same homily as the one listed above.
- Pending: Aquinas’ Homily Notes on the Gospel.