Sunday, October 21~Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on October 16, 2012
Here one will find commentaries on the daily and Sunday Mass readings for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite. The resources for next Sunday’s Mass will be posted Oct. 24 or 25.
THIS POST IS NOT YET COMPLETE AND WILL BE UPDATED.
TWENTY-NINTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Mass Readings in the RNAB Translation. Used in the USA.
- Mass Readings in the NJB Translation. Used in most English speaking countries. Scroll down. I’ve seen conflicting reports concerning whether or not it is the JB, or the NJB that is currently used in most English speaking nations. If anyone knows of a Bishop’s Conference site that has a set up similar to the US Bishop’s site linked above (but using the JB or NJB), please let me know.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
Pending: GENERAL RESOURCES: sites that usually deal with the readings as a whole. Commentaries on the individual readings further below.
- Word Sunday. The readings in both and literal translation, notes on the text, podcast, children’s reading.
- Sacerdos. Gives the theme of the readings, the doctrinal message, and pastoral application.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background on the readings. Can be printed out, copied, and used as bulletin insert.
- Scripture Speaks. I’ve linked to the archive. This Sunday’s post not yet available.
- The Bible Workshop. Links to several relevant articles, contains a reading guide to the gospel text, a comparison of the readings, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- The Wednesday Word. It’s about the Sunday readings, but the document is posted on Wednesday, hence the name. Designed for prayer and reflection, the pdf document ends with Father Dom Henry Wansbrough’s reflections on the first and second readings. Fr. Wansbrough is General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible and contributed commentaries on Matt, Mark, and the Pastorals in A New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture.
- St Charles Borromeo Parish’s Bible Study Notes. Notes on all the readings, usually with some background info as well.
- Sacred Page Blog. Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma’s reflections on the readings and psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Isaiah 53:10-11.
- Father Maas’ Introduction to Isaiah 53:10-11. On 52:13-53:12, the Fourth Servant Song.
- Navarre Bible Commentary on Isaiah 53:10-11. Gives a very good overview of the entire 4th Servant Song (Isa 52:13-53:12).
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Psalm 33:4-5, 18-19, 20,22.
- Pending: Father Boylan’s Introduction to Psalm 33.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Heb 4:14-16.
- Pending (maybe): My Notes on Hebrews 4:14-16. If posted it will be latter in the week (Thurs. Fri.).
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Mark 10:35-45.
- Aquinas’ Catena Aurea on Mark 10:35-45. On 32-45 actually.
- Pending (maybe): My Notes on Mark 10:35-45. Will post latter in the week (maybe).
- The Catechism’s Use of Mark 10:35-45. On 32-45 actually.
PODCASTS AND VIDEOS:
- St Martha’s Bible Study Podcast. Looks at the readings in some detail.
- St Martha’s Parish Reflections. Usually between 5 & 10 minutes long.
- Dr. Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Brief. Does good job of highlighting major theme(s).
- (1) Father Mike’s Bible Study Podcast on Isaiah. An introduction to the book of Isaiah.
- (2) Father Mike’s Bible Study Podcast on Hebrews. Introduction to the Books of Hebrews and James.
- (3) Father Mike’s Bible Study Podcast on Mark. Introduction.
- (1) Father Philip’s Podcast Study of Hebrews 4:14-16. Podcast begins with verse 10.
- (2) Father Philip’s Podcast Study of Mark 10:35-45. Looks at chapters 9 & 10.
- Sunday Gospel Scripture Study. Looks at the Gospel in detail.
- (1) Franciscan Sister’s Sunday Bible Study. Looks at all the readings.
- (2) Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study on Mark. Scroll down and click link for chapter 10.
- Not Yet Available: Father Francis Martin’s Reflections on the Readings. 4 videos, each approximately 15 minutes long. The last three deal with the readings, the first is introductory. The link is time sensitive.
- Father Robert Barron’s Podcast Sermon. I’ve linked to the archive page. Click on sermon number 615 when it become available.
TWENTY-FIRST SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica XXI Post Pentecosten III. Octobris ~ II. classis
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: Ephesians 6:10-17.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Matthew 18:23-35.
- Cornelius a Lapide’s Commentary on Matthew 18:23-35. Begins at verse 18.
- Father Maas’ Commentary on Matthew 18:23-35. Begins at verse 21.
- Sunday Gospel Scripture Study of Matthew 18:23-35. On 21-35. Recorded for the 24thu Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A.
- Navarre Bible Commentary on Matthew 18:23-35. Begins with verse 21.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES:
MORE HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES PENDING.