COMPLETE! Sunday, December 2 2012~Resources for the First Sunday of Advent, Year C (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on November 22, 2012
This post contains resources (mostly biblical and homiletic) for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Rite. At least one resource is delayed until Saturday, and my own notes on the 1st reading in the Ordinary Form, and the Gospel reading in the Extraordinary Form will probably not be available.
Resources for the Second Sunday of Advent (Year C, & Extraordinary Form) can be found here.
FIRST SUNDAY OF ADVENT, YEAR C
READINGS AND MISSAL:
- Mass Readings in the RNAB Translation. Used in the USA.
- Mass Readings in the NJB Translation. Used in most English speaking countries.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
GENERAL RESOURCES: sites that usually dea with the readings as a whole. Commentaries on individual readings are listed further below.
- Word Sunday. The readings in both and literal translation, notes on the text, podcast, children’s reading.
- Sacerdos. Gives the theme of the readings (off the mark this week, in my opinion), the doctrinal message, and pastoral application.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background on the readings. Can be printed out, copied, and used as bulletin insert.
- Scripture Speaks. I’ve linked to the archive. This Sunday’s post not yet available.
- The Bible Workshop. Links to several relevant articles, contains a reading guide to the gospel text, a comparison of the readings, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- The Wednesday Word. It’s about the Sunday readings, but the document is posted on Wednesday, hence the name. Designed for prayer and reflection, the pdf document ends with Father Dom Henry Wansbrough’s reflections on the first and second readings. Fr. Wansbrough is General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible and contributed commentaries on Matt, Mark, and the Pastorals in A New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture.
- St Charles Borromeo Parish’s Bible Study Notes. Notes on all the readings, usually with some background info as well.
- Sacred Page Blog: Happy New Year: the First Sunday of Advent!. Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma reflects on the readings.
- Christian Leadership Center: Preaching the Lectionary for 1st Advent. An ecumenical site.
COMMENTARIES ON TODAY’S FIRST READING: Jer 33:14-16.
- Pending. My Brief Notes on Jeremiah.
- Update: Catechism Links: 156; 214; 215; 397; 1063; 2465-2470.The Catechism makes no direct reference to Jer 33:14-16, however, since the text speaks of God fulfilling his covenant promises to David, I think the following passages on God’s truthfulness and fidelity to his covenant and promises (and what that means for us) might be helpful.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Psalm Ps 25:4-5, 8-9, 10, 14.
- Father Boylan’s Introduction to Psalm 25. Very brief.
- My Notes on Psalm 25:4-5, 8-9, 10, 14. Actually on 1-14.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: 1 Thessalonians 3:12-4:2.
- Father Callan’s Notes on 1 Thessalonians 3:12-4:2. Includes verse 11.
- Update: Catechism Links: The catechism doesn’t employ 1 Th 3:12-4:2 but the following links might be useful:
- #826. Love (charity) Essential for Holiness. “Abound in love…to be blameless in holiness.” (1 Th 3:12-13).
- #815. Love/Charity as Bond of Faith & Apostolic Succession. “As you have received from us” (1 Th 4:1).
- #s 897-913. The Lay Faithful’s Mission. “How you should conduct yourselves to please God” (1 Th 4:1).
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Luke 21:25-28, 34-36.
- Father Mike’s Introduction to 1 Thessalonians. On Philippians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians.
- Pending: St Irenaeus Ministries Podcast Study of 1 Thessalonians 3:12-4:2. Wont be available until sometime Saturday.
- Father Philips’ Podcast Study of 1 Thessalonians. Scroll down to podcast links on 1 Thessalonians and listen to part 2 which covers 1 Thess 2:13-4:8.
- St Irenaeus Ministries Podcast on Luke 21-22. Click on POD icon or the direct download link.
- Sunday Gospel Scripture Study of Luke 21:25-28, 34-36. Luke at the Gospel in detail.
- St Martha’s Podcast on the 1st Sunday of Advent Readings. Looks at all the readings.
- Father Francis Martin’s Reflections on the Readings. Time sensitive link. 4 videos, each approximately 15 minutes long. The last three deal with the readings, the first is introductory.
- Father Robert Barron’s Podcast Homily. Noted speaker and theologian.
FIRST SUNDAY OF ADVENT
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Be sure correct date is set.
- Goffine’s Devout Instruction on the Epistle and Gospel. Contains the readings followed by brief instructions. Also contains the prayers for the Mass.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: Romans 13:11-14.
- Aquinas’ Lecture on Romans 13:11-14. Type the number 522 in the box next to the blue arrows and hit your enter key. Scroll down slightly to find Lecture 3.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Luke 21:25-33.
- Pending. My Notes on Luke 21:25-33. Still hoping to post, but don’t hold your breath.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES BY FATHERS AND DOCTORS:
- Aquinas’ Homily Notes on the Epistle. Can provide points for meditation and further study.
- Aquinas’ Homily Notes on the Gospel. PLEASE NOTE that in Thomas’ day the Gospel reading was Matt 21:1-11. I’ve included the link here anyway.
- Reflection/Meditation on Newman’s Sermon. Not by Newman but included here.
MORE HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES FROM GREAT PREACHERS:
- Homily on the Epistle. By Bishop Bonomelli, a renowned preacher of his day.
- Homily on the Gospel. By Bishop Bonomelli.
- The Last Judgment. Homily on the Gospel.
- The Wrathful Countenance of the Judge Will Be a Terror To Sinners. Homily on the Gospel, start near bottom page.
- Warning and Exhortations from the Apostle. Homily on the Epistle by Father Johann Evangelist Zollner, famous preacher of his time.
- The Coming of Christ at the Judgment. Homily on the Gospel by Fr. Zollner.
- The General Judgment. A dogmatic homily on the Gospel by Fr. Zollner.
- The Last Judgment. A symbolic homily on the Gospel by Fr. Zollner.
- The Sanctification of Advent. A moral homily on the Epistle by Fr. Zollner.
- Many Christians Try to Dissuade Themselves of the Fear of Judgment. A moral homily by Fr. Zollner.
- Work for Advent. A sermon plan on the Epistle, can provide points for meditation or study. This and the next three sermon plans are from Father George Howe.
- Mortal Sin. A sermon plan on the Epistle, can provide points for meditation or study.
- The General Judgment. A sermon plan on the Gospel, can provide points for meditation or study.
- Christ the Judge. A sermon plan on the Gospel, can provide points for meditation or study.