Sunday, February 17: Resources for the First Sunday of Lent, Year C (Partially Complete)
Posted by Dim Bulb on February 12, 2013
FURTHER UPDATES WILL BE ADDED BEFORE FRIDAY, as will entries marked as “Pending”.
This post contains resources (mostly biblical and homiletic) for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite.
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2013
FIRST SUNDAY OF LENT, YEAR C
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Today’s Mass Readings. Used in the USA.
- Mass Readings in the NJB Translation. Scroll down. Used in most English speaking countries. For some reason the site has the Gospel reading before the second reading.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
GENERAL RESOURCES: sites that usually deal with the readings as a whole (with some occasional specialty studies). Commentaries on individual readings are listed further below.
- Word Sunday. The readings in both and literal translation, notes on the text, podcast, children’s reading.
- The Unofficial Lectionary. Previously posted. Readings from the Douay-Rheims Challoner version followed by notes from the old Haydock Commentary.
- Sacerdos. Gives the theme of the readings, the doctrinal message, and pastoral application.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background on the readings. Can be printed out, copied, and used as bulletin insert.
- Scripture Speaks. I’ve linked to the archive. Hasn’t been updated in a while.
- The Bible Workshop. Links to several relevant articles, contains a reading guide to the gospel text, a comparison of the readings, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- The Wednesday Word. It’s about the Sunday readings, but the document is posted on Wednesday, hence the name. Designed for prayer and reflection, the pdf document ends with Father Dom Henry Wansbrough’s reflections on the first and second readings. Fr. Wansbrough is General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible and contributed commentaries on Matt, Mark, and the Pastorals in A New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture.
- St Charles Borromeo Parish’s Bible Study Notes. Notes on all the readings, usually with some background info as well.
- Sacred Page Blog: Lent as Spiritual Warfare. reflection on the readings by Catholic biblical scholar Dr John Bergsma.
- Christian Leadership Center: Preaching the Lectionary. An ecumenical site. The focus this Sunday is on the Gospel.
- Glancing Thoughts. Reflections on the Gospel from philosopher Eleanore Stump.
- Thoughts From The Early Church. Excerpt from St Chrysostom.
- Scripture In Depth. Succinct summary of the readings and their relation to one another.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Deuteronomy 26:4-10.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Psalm 91:1-2, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15.
- Father Boylan’s Introduction to Psalm 91. Whole psalm.
- St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 91. Whole psalm.
- Pending (maybe). My Notes on Psalm 91:1-2, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Romans 10:8-13.
- Update: Homilist’s Catechism on 10:8-13.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Luke 4:1-13.
- Update: Homilist’s Catechism on Luke 4:1-13.
UPDATE: CHILDREN’S RESOURCES: If you know of any other children’s resource sites please let me know in the comment box.
- Catholic Mom. Scroll down to this Sunday. Resources appear oriented towards 7-14 years of age.
- Word Sunday’s Children’s Reading. Two very short stories seeking to draw a lesson from the first and Gospel readings.
- We Believe. Activities geared towards Kindergarten through 8th grade. Also has resources for catechists, clergy, etc.
- The Catholic Toolbox. Activities, crafts, games, etc., for class or home.
- St Irenaeus Ministries Podcast Study of Romans 10. Click the POD icon or the direct download link.
- Sunday Gospel Scripture Study. Looks at the Gospel reading in detail.
- Dr Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Very brief. Text also available. Does good job of highlighting major theme(s).
- Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study Podcast. Looks at all the readings.
- St Martha’s Parish Bible Study Podcast. Looks at the readings in some detail.
- Update: Father Francis Martin’s Weekly Reflections. 4 videos, each about 15 minutes long. The first is introductory and the remaining 3 look at the readings.
- Father Robert Barron’s Homily Podcast. From a noted speaker and theologian.
- FOUR PODCAST HOMILIES:
FIRST SUNDAY OF LENT
Dominica I in Quadragesima ~ I. classis
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Make sure you have the correct date set.
- Roman Breviary. Make sure you have the correct date set.
- Goffine’s Devout Instructions on the Epistle and Gospel. Readings and prayers from the Mass of the day, with brief instructions on the readings.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: 2 Corinthians 6:1-10.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Matthew 4:1-11.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES: