April 14, 2013~Resources for the Third Sunday of Easter (Ordinary Form)
Posted by Dim Bulb on April 7, 2013
This post contains resources (mostly biblical and homiletic) for the Third Sunday of Easter in the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite. It should be substantially complete by Wednesday evening. Resources for the Extraordinary Form can be found here when they become available available.
SUNDAY, APRIL 14 2013
RESOURCES FOR THE ORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
THIRD SUNDAY OF EASTER
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Acts 5:27-32, 40b-41.
- Word Sunday’s Notes on Acts 5:27-32, 40b-41. Popular and literal translation of text followed by brief notes.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Psalm 30:2, 4, 5-6, 11-12, 13.
- Father Boylan’s Introduction to Psalm 30. Whole psalm.
- Pope John Paul II’s Commentary on Psalm 30. Whole psalm.
- Aquinas’ Commentary on Psalm 30. Whole psalm.
- My Notes on Psalm 30. Whole psalm.
- St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 30. Whole psalm.
- Word Sunday’s Notes on Psalm 30. Whole psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Revelation 5:11-14. See under Podcast heading for more.
- Word Sunday’s Notes on Revelation 5:11-14. Popular and literal translation of text followed by notes and comments.
- Pending (maybe): My Notes on Revelation 5:11-14.
- Update: Speaking of Scripture Blog on Revelation 5:12. Excerpted from the forthcoming commentary on Revelation by Dr. Peter Williamson This book is part of the series, Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture. Dr. Williamson is one of the series editors.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: John 21:1-19. Note a shorter reading of John 21:1-14 is allowed.
- Aquinas’ Catena Aurea on John 21:1-19. A commentary compiled from the Fathers of the Church by St Thomas Aquinas.
- Aquinas’ Lectures on John 21:1-19. Read the first four lectures.
- Word Sunday’s Notes on John 21:1-19. Popular & literal translation of text followed by notes and comments.
- Update: Homilist’s Catechism on John 21:1-19.
Pending: GENERAL RESOURCES: Sites which offer reflections, summaries,etc., on one or more of the readings.
- Sacerdos. Gives the theme of the readings, the doctrinal message, and pastoral application.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background on the readings. Can be printed out, copied, and used as bulletin insert.
- Scripture Speaks. Since the site doesn’t post every week I’ve linked to the archive.
- The Bible Workshop. Links to several relevant articles, contains a reading guide to the gospel text, a comparison of the readings, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- The Wednesday Word. It’s about the Sunday readings, but the document is posted on Wednesday, hence the name. Designed for prayer and reflection, the pdf document ends with Father Dom Henry Wansbrough’s reflections on the first and second readings. Fr. Wansbrough is General Editor of the New Jerusalem Bible and contributed commentaries on Matt, Mark, and the Pastorals in A New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture.
- St Charles Borromeo Parish’s Bible Study Notes. Notes on all the readings, usually with some background info as well.
- Sacred Page Blog: The Primacy of Peter and the Primacy of Love. Reflection on the readings by Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma.
- Preaching the Lectionary. Reflection on the gospel from the Christian Leadership Center, an ecumenical site.
- Glancing Thoughts: Judas and Peter. Brief reflections from philosopher Eleanore Stump.
- The Gospel in its Historical Cultural Context. Briefly highlights the significance of John 21 in light of the mentality of the first century Mediterranean world.
- Thoughts From The Early Church. Excerpt on the Gospel from St Augustine.
- Scripture In Depth. Succinct summary of the readings and their relation to one another.
CHILDREN AND TEEN RESOURCES:
- Catholic Mom. Scroll down to this Sunday. Resources appear oriented towards 7-14 years of age.
- Word Sunday’s Children’s Reading. Two very short stories seeking to draw a lesson from the first and Gospel readings.
- We Believe. Activities geared towards Kindergarten through 8th grade. Also has resources for catechists, clergy, etc.
- Domestic Church. Lent and Easter activities arranged for families, younger children, older children.
- Sunday Connection. Resources for different grade levels, and family activities.
- Life Teen Podcast for the Third Sunday of Easter. I’ve also listed this below under the podcast heading.
PODCASTS: Bible studies and homilies.
- On the Readings as a Whole: On the three readings and the Psalm.
Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study Podcast for the 3rd Sunday of Easter. Link is to archive page. Episode will be available sometime Thursday.
Dr. Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Very brief overview highlighting the main theme(s) of the readings.
Father Francis Martin’s Reflections. 4 parts, each approximately 15 minutes. The first is introductory and the remaining three look at the readings.
- Acts of Apostles Chapter 5:
Institute of Catholic Culture’s Podcast on Acts of Apostles. Listen to part 4 which deals with chapters 3-5.
EWTN’s Gospel of the Holy Spirit (on Acts of Apostles). Listen to episode 4.
St Catherine of Siena’s Podcast Study of Acts of Apostles. Scroll down to player and click on lesson 2. Lesson outline here.
- Revelation Chapter 5:
Institute of Catholic Culture’s Podcast Study of Revelation. Three part study provides background and overview to the book.
(1) St Martha’s Parish Podcast Study of Revelation Chapters 4 & 5. Also has power point notes here.
(2) Another Study on Revelation by St Martha’s Parish. On chapters 5 & 6.
Update: Catholic Study of the Book of Revelation. Two videos dealing with chapters 2-6. The second video treat of chapter 5.
- Gospel of John 21:
EWTN’s Series on John 21. Scroll down and listen to episode 13.
St Martha’s Parish Bible Study Podcast on John. Treats chapters 18-21.
St Irenaeus Ministries Podcast on John. On part of chapter 20 and all of 21.
Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study Podcast on John. Scroll down and listen to the final episode on 19:24-21:25.
Pending: Sunday Gospel Scripture Study. Video. Excellent resource. Looks at the gospel in detail.
- Homilies, etc.:
Father Robert Barron’s Podcast Homily. Sermon from a noted speaker and theologian.
Life Teen Podcast. . Also posted above under Children and Teen Resources.