Resources for Sunday Mass~Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on May 21, 2013
This post contains resources (mostly biblical commentaries and notes) for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite.
ORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
SUNDAY, MAY 28, 2013
SOLEMNITY OF THE MOST HOLY TRINITY
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Today’s Mass Readings (NABRE). Translation used in the USA.
- Today’s Mass Readings (NJB). Scroll down slightly. The NJB is used in most other English speaking countries.
- Today’s Divine Office.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Proverbs 8:22-31.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Psalm 8:4-5, 6-7, 8-9.
- Pending: Father Boylan’s Introduction to Psalm 8.
- Aquinas’ Lecture on Psalm 8. Whole psalm.
- St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 8. Whole psalm.
- Pope John Paul II’s Commentary on Psalm 8. Whole psalm.
- Father Tauton’s Commentary on Psalm 8. Whole psalm.
- My Notes on Psalm 8. Whole psalm.
- Word Sunday Notes on Psalm 8. Whole psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Romans 5:1-5.
- Father Callan’s Commentary on Romans 5:1-5. On all of ch. 5.
- Aquinas’ Lecture on Romans 5:1-5. Pdf document. Type the numbers 196 into the page box (next to the two encircled arrows) and press the enter key on your keyboard. This will take you to the page on which the lecture begins.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: John 16:12-15.
- St John Chrysostom’s Homiletic Commentary on John 16:12-15. On 4-15 but I’ve highlighted verses 12-15 with purple text.
- Dr. Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Brief. Highlights major theme(s) of the readings. Text available.
- St Martha’s Study of the Sunday Readings Podcast. Not the normal presenter.
- St Martha’s Reflections. Fairly brief.
- Franciscan Sister’s Bible Study Podcast. I’ve linked to the archive page. The podcasts are usually posted on Thursday.
- St Irenaeus Ministries Podcast on Romans 5. Click on the POD icon or the direct download link.
- Pending: Diocese of Tulsa’s Sunday Gospel Scripture Study. Looks at the gospel in detail.
- Father Robert Barron’s Podcast Homily. From a noted theologian and lecturer.
EXTRAORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
SUNDAY, MAY 26, 2013
Dominica Sanctissimae Trinitatis ~ I. classis
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Roman Missal. Latin & English side by side. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English side by side. Be sure correct date is set.
- Goffine’s Instruction on the Epistle and Gospel. Famous devotional work in English. Similar to the content in the Missal link but it also includes brief instructions on the readings plus a brief essay on Encouragement to Patience in Adversity, base upon John 16:20.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: Romans 11:33-36.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Matthew 28:18-20.
- Aquinas’ Catena Aurea on Matthew 28:18-20. On 16-20.
- Navarre Bible Commentary on Matthew 28:18-20. On 16-20.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES:
- The Mystery of the Most Holy Trinity. A homily on Rom 11:33-36.
- A Homily on the Epistle. Deals with the three theological virtues in relation to the Trinity.
- God’s Knowledge. Homily notes On Rom 11:33. Can be used for sermon ideas, points for meditation/reflection, or for further Study.
- St Gregory Nanzianzus’ Homily for Trinity Sunday. On Matt 28:18-20.
- Commission and Promise Which Christ Gave to His Apostles. On Matt 28:18-20.
- The Blessing of the Most Holy Trinity. A liturgical homily on Matt 28:18-20.
- The Holy Sign of the Cross. A symbolic homily on Matt 28:18-20.
- The Worship of the Most Holy Trinity. A dogmatic/liturgical homily on Matt 28:18-20.
- The Ceremonies of Baptism. A liturgical/moral homily on Matt 28:18-20.
- Belief in the Mystery of the Trinity. Homily on Matt 28:18-20.
- The Blessed Trinity. Sermon notes on Matt 28:19. Can be used for sermon ideas, points for meditation/reflection, or for further study.