Sunday, June 2, 2013~Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on May 28, 2013
This post contains resources (mostly biblical commentaries and notes) for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite. A few updates will be made before Sunday.
SUNDAY, JUNE 2, 2013
ORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
SOLEMNITY OF THE MOST HOLY BODY AND BLOOD OF CHRIST
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Today’s Mass Readings (NABRE). Translation used in the USA.
- Today’s Mass Readings (NJB). Scroll down slightly. The NJB is used in most other English speaking countries.
- Today’s Divine Office.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Genesis 14:18-20.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Psalm 110:1 , 2 3, 4.
- Pope John Paul II’s Commentary on Psalm 110. On verses 1-5, 7.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: 1 Corinthians 11:23-26.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Luke 9:11b-17.
- Priesthood and Eucharist. Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma.
- The Bible Workshop. Links to relevant articles, gospel guide, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- Sacerdos. Gives theme of the readings, doctrinal message, suggested pastoral applications.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological notes.
SUNDAY, JUNE 2:2013
EXTRAORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
DOMINICA II POST OCTAVAM PENTECOSTES~II. CLASSIS
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English side by side. Be sure correct date is set.
- Daily Roman Breviary. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Goffine Devout Instructions on the Epistle and Gospel. Famous devotional work in English. Similar to the content in the Missal link but it also includes brief instructions on the readings plus a brief essay.
COMMENTARIES AND HOMILIES ON THE LESSON: 1 John 3:13-18.
- Navarre Commentary on 1 John 3:13-18. On verses 11-21.
- Bishop Bonomelli’s Homily on 1 John 3:13-18. stjoeofo blog.
- The Love of Our Neighbor: A Homily on 1 John 3:13-18. stjoeofo blog.
COMMENTARIES AND HOMILIES ON THE GOSPEL: Luke 14:16-24.
- Aquinas’ Catena Aurea on Luke 14:16-24. Begins with 15.
- St Cyril of Alexandria’s Commentary on Luke 14:16-24. Begins with 15.
- Many Exclude Themselves From Heaven: A Homily on Luke 14:20. stjoeofo blog.