Sunday, June 23~Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on June 17, 2013
A number of resources are still pending but the post should be complete by Wednesday evening.
This post contains resources (mostly biblical and homiletic) for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite.
ORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
SUNDAY, JUNE 23, 2013
TWELFTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Today’s Mass Readings (NABRE). Translation used in the USA.
- Today’s Mass Readings (NJB). Scroll down slightly. The NJB is used in most other English speaking countries.
- Today’s Divine Office.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Zechariah 12:10-11, 13:1.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Ps 63:2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9.
- Father Boylan’s Introduction and Notes to Psalm 63. Whole psalm.
- Pope John Paul II’s Commentary on Psalm 63. Whole psalm.
- St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 63. Whole psalm.
- Patristic/Medieval Commentary on Psalm 63. Whole Psalm.
- Pending (maybe): My notes on Psalm 63: 2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9.
- Word Sunday Notes on Psalm 63. Whole Psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Galatians 3:26-29.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Luke 9:18-24.
- Aquinas’ Catena Aurea on Luke 9:18-24. On 18-27.
- Navarre Bible Commentary on Luke 9:18-24 in Two Parts: On 18-26.
- Sacred Page Blog: A Turn Toward the Passion. Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma on the readings.
- Sacerdos. Gives theme of the readings, doctrinal message, suggested pastoral applications.
- The Bible Workshop. Guide to the Gospel; review of the readings, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- Scripture in Depth. Succinct summary of the readings.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background.
- Thought From the Early Church. Brief commentary on the Gospel from an St Cyril of Alexandria.
- Dr. Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Very brief. does good job of highlighting the major theme(s).
- St Irenaeus Ministries Podcast on Galatians 3:23 ff. Covers today’s second reading and the first 7 or 8 verses of chapter 4.
- Update: Sunday Gospel Scripture Study. Very good study of the gospel.
- Father Robert Barron’s Podcast Homily: Zechariah’s Story. From a noted speaker and theologian.
- Father Francis Martin’s Reflections on the Sunday Readings in 4 Parts: Run time approximate.
EXTRAORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
SUNDAY, JUNE 23, 2013
FIFTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica V Post Pentecosten ~ II. classis
Commemoratio ad Laudes tantum: In Vigilia S. Johannis Baptistae
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English side by side. Be sure correct date is set.
- Daily Roman Breviary. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Goffine Devout Instructions on the Epistle and Gospel. Famous devotional work in English. Similar to the content in the Missal link but it also includes brief instructions on the readings plus a brief essay.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: 1 Peter 3:8-15.
- Pending (maybe): My Notes on 1 Peter 3:8-15.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Matthew 5:20-24.
- Aquinas’ Catena Aurea on Matthew 5:20-24. On 20-26.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES:
- Homily on the Epistle: Sanctify the Lord Jesus in Your Hearts. St Joe of O Blog.
- (1) Homily Notes on the Epistle (Christian Unity). Can be used for sermon idea, meditation, further study, etc.
- (2) Homily Notes on the Epistle (Presence of God). Can be used for sermon ideas, meditation, further study, etc.
- Homily on the Gospel: I Tell You That Unless Your Justice Abounds…You Shall Not Enter the Kingdom of Heaven. St Joe of O Blog.
- (1) Homily Notes on the Gospel (Christian Justice). Can be used for sermon ideas, meditation, further study, etc.
- (2) Homily Notes on the Gospel (Reconciliation). Can be used for sermon ideas, meditation, further study, etc.