Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on June 25, 2013
ORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
SUNDAY, JUNE 30, 2013
THIRTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
DAY 10: FORTNIGHT FOR FREEDOM
To destroy a man wrongfully in his judgment, the Lord hath not approved (Lamentation 3:36).
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Today’s Mass Readings (NABRE). Translation used in the USA.
- Today’s Mass Readings (NJB). Scroll down slightly. The NJB is used in most other English speaking countries.
- Today’s Divine Office.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
COMMENTARIES ON TODAY’S FIRST READING: 1 Kings 19:16b, 19-21.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL PSALM: Psalm 16:1-2, 5, 7-8, 9-10, 11.
- Pope John Paul II’s Commentary on Psalm 16. Whole psalm.
- St Thomas Aquinas’ Lecture on Psalm 16. Whole psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Galatians 5:1, 13-18.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Luke 9:51-62.
- Sacred Page Blog: The Radical Call to Discipleship. Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma on the readings.
- Sacerdos. Gives theme of the readings, doctrinal message, suggested pastoral applications.
- The Bible Workshop. Guide to the Gospel; review of the readings, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- Scripture in Depth. Succinct summary of the readings.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background.
- Thought From the Early Church. Brief commentary from St Hilary of Poitiers.
Dr, Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Very brief. Does good job of highlighting the major theme(s) of the readings. Text available.
Fr. Robert Barron’s Podcast Homily: Elisha and the Path of True Freedom.From a noted speaker and theologian.
Institute of Catholic Culture’s Podcast on Galatians. Two lectures on the letter.
Sunday Gospel Scripture Study. YouTube Video presentation looks at the Gospel in some detail.
Father Francis Martin’sReflections in Four Parts: Each approx. 15 minutes.
EXTRAORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMA RITE
SUNDAY, JUNE 30, 2013
SIXTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica VI Post Pentecosten ~ II. classis
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: Romans 6:3-11.
- Bernardin de Piconio’s Commentary on Today’s Lesson (Rom 6:3-11). This post includes commentary on all of chapter 6.
- Aquinas’ Lectures on Today’s Lesson (Rom 6:3-11). Pdf document. Go to page 239 and read lectures 1-3.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Mark 8:1-9.
- Aquinas’ Catena Aurea on Today’s Gospel (Mark 8:1-9). Previously posted. This post is actually on verses 1-10.
HOMILY NOTES: The following four homily notes can be used for sermon ideas, points of meditation, further study.
- Homily Notes on Baptism. (Epistle theme).
- Homily Notes on the Resurrection of the Body. (Epistle theme).
- Homily Notes on Providence. (Gospel theme).
- Homily Notes on Grounds for Confidence in God. (Gospel theme).