Commentaries and Resources for Good Friday of the Passion of the Lord
Posted by Dim Bulb on July 5, 2013
- Today’s Readings. Time sensitive.
- Podcast~Crucifixion:History, Archaeology, and Why Jesus Died This Way. 20 minute audio by Catholic biblical scholar, Dr. Michael Barber.
- Update: Crucifixion in the Ancient World. Blog post by Dr. Michael Barber. Includes link to the podcast listed above.
- The Priestly Theme in the Good Friday Readings. Blog post by Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma.
- Update: Audio/Video~The Lamb of God: Understanding the Sacrifice of Christ. Scroll down for audio and video players.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Isaiah 52:13-53:12
- Word Sunday’s Notes on Isaiah 52:13-53:12. Text with notes.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Psalm 31.
- Word Sunday’s Notes on Psalm 31. Text with notes.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Hebrews 4:14-16, 5:7-9.
- Pending: Father MacEvilly’s Commentary on Heb 4:14-16, 5:7-9.
- Word Sunday’s Notes on Heb 4:14-16, 5:7-9. literal and popular translation of the reading with notes.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: John 18:1-19:42.
- St Thomas Aquinas’ Lectures on John 18. Six lectures in all.
- St Thomas Aquinas’ Lectures on John 19. Also in six lecture.
- Some Thoughts on the Good Friday Gospel. Another blog post by Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma (see above under the “General” heading).
- My Notes on the Passion According to John:
- Word Sunday: on John 18:1-19:42 in three parts
- St Irenaeus Ministries
On Isaiah: The Suffering Servant Songs.
On Hebrews 4:14-16.
On John: The Trials.
On John: The Crucifixion.
- EWTN’S PODCAST ON JOHN: