Sunday, July 14, 2013: Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on July 7, 2013
This post contains resources (mostly biblical and homiletic) for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite. These resources are usually posted on my blog on Wednesday evening. A few posts marked “pending”, along with other resources, will become available latter in the week.
SUNDAY, JULY 14, 2013
ORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
FIFTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Today’s Mass Readings (NABRE). Translation used in the USA.
- Today’s Mass Readings (NJB). Scroll down slightly. The NJB is used in most other English speaking countries.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Deuteronomy 30:10-14.
- Pending (maybe): My Notes on Deuteronomy 30:10-14.
Option 1~COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Ps 69:14, 17, 30-31, 33-34, 36, 37.
- St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 69. Whole psalm.
- Word Sunday’s Notes on Psalm 69. Brief notes on the entire psalm.
Option 2~ COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Ps 19:8, 9, 10, 11.
- St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 19. Whole psalm.
- St Thomas Aquinas’ Lecture on Psalm 19. Whole psalm.
- Pope John Paul II’s Commentary on Psalm 19. Fairly brief meditative comments on whole psalm.
- Word Sunday’s Notes on Psalm 19. Brief notes on whole psalm.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Colossians 1:15-20.
- St Thomas Aquinas’ Lectures on Colossians 1:15-20. Read lectures 4 & 5 of chapter 1.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Luke 10:25-37.
SPECIAL RESOURCES FOR THE PARABLE OF THE GOOD SAMARITAN:
Update: GENERAL RESOURCES:
- Sacred Page Blog: Won’t You Be My Neighbor?. Insightful reflections on the readings from Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma.
- Sacerdos. Gives theme of the readings, doctrinal message, suggested pastoral applications.
- The Bible Workshop. Guide to the Gospel; review of the readings, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- Historical Cultural Context. The Parable of the Good Samaritan as seen in its 1st century Mediterranean context.
- Scripture in Depth. Succinct summary of the readings.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background.
- Thought From the Early Church. Brief commentary from Origen.
- The Wednesday Word. Reflections and commentary on the Sunday readings by Father Dom Henry Wansbrough, O.S.B. He is a world renowned biblical scholar who contributed four commentaries on the NT section of the New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture (Matt, Mark, Acts, Pastorals), and was general editor of the New Jerusalem Bible.
SUNDAY, JULY 14, 2013
EXTRAORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
EIGHTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica VIII Post Pentecosten ~ II. classis
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: Rom 8:12-17.
- Pending: Bishop MacEvilly’s Commentary on Romans 8:12-17.
- Lectures on Romans by St Thomas Aquinas (mouse over the middle bottom of the screen and a box with the page numbers will appear. It will read 1 / 610. Erase the 1 and type in 308 then press your ENTER key. This will take you to lecture 2 on romans 8; read it and lecture 3.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL: Luke 16:1-9.
HOMILIES, TREATISE, OTHER STUFF:
- Homily on Rom 8:12-13 By St John Chrysostom
- Homily on the Epistle By Bishop Bonomelli.
- Homily Notes on Romans 8:13. Fr. George Howe.
- Aquinas’ Homily Notes on Romans 8:13. By St Thomas Aquinas.
- The Christian Stewardship. Homily on Luke 16:2.
- On Restitution. Homily on Luke 16:3.
- Homily on the Gospel. By Bishop Bonomelli.
- On Works and Alms (Treatise 8) by St Cyprian of Carthage.
- Who is the Rich Man That Shall Be Saved? by St Clement of Alexandria. Deals with a gospel passage different from today’s reading but does contain a lot of useful things.
- The Danger of Riches John Henry Newman.
- Pending: The Roman Catechism Issued by Council of Trent.
- Summa of Theology 2a. 2ae. 62 (Hereafter ST.) On making restitution.
- ST. 2a. 2ae. 32 On almsgiving.
- ST 2a. 2ae. 117 On liberality.
- ST 2a. 2ae 119 On prodigality.