Sunday, July 21, 2013~Resources for Sunday Mass (Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms)
Posted by Dim Bulb on July 16, 2013
This post contains resources (mostly biblical and homiletic) for both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite. A few resources are pending, others may be added.
SUNDAY, JULY 21, 2013
ORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
SIXTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
READINGS AND OFFICE:
- Today’s Mass Readings (NABRE). Translation used in the USA.
- Today’s Mass Readings (NJB). Scroll down slightly. The NJB is used in most other English speaking countries.
- Anglican Use Daily Office. ”Briefly, it is a provision for an “Anglican style” liturgy similar to the Book of Common Prayer as an ecclesiastically approved variant on the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.” More info.
COMMENTARIES ON THE FIRST READING: Genesis 18:1-10a.
COMMENTARIES ON THE RESPONSORIAL: Psalm 15:2-3, 3-4, 5.
- Pending: St Augustine’s Notes on Psalm 15.
COMMENTARIES ON THE SECOND READING: Colossians 1:24-28.
- Father Callan’s Commentary on Colossians 1:24-28. Includes verse 29.
- St John Chrysostom’s Homiletic Commentary on Colossians 1:24-28. Two homilies spanning Col 1:21-2:5.
- Word-Sunday Notes on Colossians 1:24-28. Popular and literal translations of text followed by notes.
- Update: St Thomas Aquinas’ Lecture on Colossians 1:24-28. On verses 23b-29.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Luke 10:38-42.
- Word-Sunday Notes on Luke 10:38-42. Popular and Literal translations of text followed by notes.
- Sacred Page Blog: Entertaining God. Insightful reflections on the readings from Catholic biblical scholar Dr. John Bergsma.
- Sacerdos. Gives theme of the readings, doctrinal message, suggested pastoral applications.
- The Bible Workshop. Guide to the Gospel; review of the readings, suggestions for a lesson (i.e., homily).
- Historical Cultural Context. The Gospel as seen in its 1st century Mediterranean context.
- Scripture in Depth. Succinct summary of the readings.
- Lector Notes. Brief historical and theological background.
- Thought From the Early Church. Brief commentary from Bruno of Segni.
- The Wednesday Word. The site appears to be unavailable at present. Reflections and commentary on the Sunday readings by Father Dom Henry Wansbrough, O.S.B. He is a world renowned biblical scholar who contributed four commentaries on the NT section of the New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture (Matt, Mark, Acts, Pastorals), and was general editor of the New Jerusalem Bible.
- Dr. Scott Hahn’s Podcast. Very brief. Does good job of highlighting major theme(s).
- Father Robert Barron’s Podcast Homily. A noted speaker and theologian.
- St Martha’s Bible Study. Looks at all the readings in some detail.
- St Irenaeus Ministries Podcast Study of Luke 10. Click on the POD icon or the direct download link.
EXTRAORDINARY FORM OF THE ROMAN RITE
NINTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
Dominica IX Post Pentecosten ~ II. classis
MISSAL AND BREVIARY:
- Daily Roman Missal. Latin & English. Be sure correct date is set.
- Roman Breviary. Latin & English.Be sure correct date is set.
- Goffine’s Devout Instructions on the Epistle and Gospel. Basic instructions on the readings.
COMMENTARIES ON THE LESSON: 1 Cor 10:6-13.
COMMENTARIES ON THE GOSPEL READING: Luke 19:41-47.
HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTES:
- The Ruin of the Spiritual Jerusalem. Homily on the Gospel.
- Pope St Gregory the Great’s Homily on the Gospel. St Joe of O Blog.
- The Day of Our Visitation. Homily on the Gospel.
- The Brazen Serpent. Homily notes on 1 Cor 10:9.
- Father Howe’s Sermon Notes on the Epistle. St Joe of O Blog.
MORE HOMILIES AND HOMILY NOTE PENDING.