Notes on 1 Thessalonians
Some of the posts listed below deal with substantially the same verses by the same author (e.g., MacEvily’s notes on 1:2-10 and 1:4-10). The reason for this is because both passages are used in the liturgy at different times.
- Introduction and Outline
- 1:1 The Salutation.
- 1:2-10 Thanksgiving for their having received the word
- 2:1-12 How the Missionaries Acted Among Them
- 2:13-16 Thanksgiving for their having received the word
- 2:17-20 Paul’s desire to re-visit Thessalonica
- 3:1-8 Timothy’s embassy to Thessalonica
- 3:9-13 Paul again expresses his desire to visit Thessalonica
- 4:1-12 Exhortations concerning right and holy conduct
- 4:13-5:11Resurrection and Second Coming
- 5:12-28 More Exhortations
NOTES BY BISHOP MACEVILLY with some added notes by me.
NOTES BY FATHER CALLAN:
HOMILIES BY ST JOHN CHRYSOSTOM: