Pope Benedict’s Catechesis
(On March 15, 2006 the Pope announced the beginning of a new series of catechetical talks which would focus on “the mystery of the relationship between Christ and the Church, reflecting upon it from the experience of the Apostles, in light of the duty entrusted to them.” Below you will find links to the talks that have been given so far. Beneath some of these talks you will find suggested readings)
Update: On Wednesday, March 7 2007 the Pope began teaching on the Fathers of the Church and the writers of the Middle Ages. These are listed below the talks on the Apostles.
Update #2: On July 2, 2008 the Pope began a series of Catechetical talks on St. Paul as part of the “Year of St Paul.” These are listed below the talks on the Fathers of the Church.
On The Apostles And New Testament People:
- a) The Spirit of Catholicism (esp. chapter 2) by Karl Adam
- b) Mystici Corporis (On the Mystical Body of Christ) By Pope Pius XII
- c) The Ecclesiology of Vatican II by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger
- d) Catechism links to Christ and the Church:
- beginning, foundation and Head of the Church, 2, 424, 551-53, 771, 778, 807, 864, 874
- bestows qualities on the Church, 811, 889-90
- leads the Church, 551, 852, 1547
- only gateway, 754
- origin of the Church, 424, 763-67
- origin of the Church’s Magisterium, 88
- pillar of the Church, 820, 822-24, 830, 837, 869, 1076, 1547
- presence in the Church, 775, 779, 1119
- priesthood, 941, 1544-45
- a) Ad Gentes (Decree on the Mission Activity of the Church) Vatican II
- b) Redemptoris Missio (Mission of the Redeemer) Pope John Paul II
- c) Catechism links: mission of the apostles, 2, 551, 858-60, 1122, 1223
- a) Some Aspects of the Church Understood As Communion. Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (difficult)
- b) Catechism links: Communion of man
with Christ, 533, 725, 787, 790, 1331
with the divine persons, 259, 732, 737, 850, 1107
with God, 27, 45, 54, 154, 613, 780, 1489, 1804
with the mysteries of Jesus, 519-21
- c) Baptism Is the Foundation of Communion. Pope John Paul II
- a) The Spirit of Catholicism, chapter 7 by Karl Adam
- b) St Paul’s Letter to the Ephesians, 4:1-16.
- c) St Paul’s Second Letter to Timothy, 1:6-4:5.
Suggested readings: Please note that I could not find anything on the net regarding specifically the relationship between Tradition and communion. The readings below concern the validity of Tradition. It should be noted that the Pope’s 6th and 7th addresses, found below, are closely connected to the current address. The 4th address prepared for them.
- The two Canons: Scripture and Tradition by Jimmy Akin
- Oral Tradition in the New Testament by David Palm
- Tradition and Living Magisterium from the Catholic Encyclopedia
- The Fathers of the Church from Catholic Answers
- Successors of the Apostles from Catholic Answers
- Apostolic Authority and Succession from scripturecatholic.com
- The Apostolic Church by Dwight Longnecker, from The Coming Home network
On The Fathers And Medieval Writers:
37. Origin of Alexandria.
46. On St Basil 2.
58. On St Jerome 1.
59. On St Jerome 2.
61. On St Ephrem.
76. St Columban
79. John Climacus
80. St Bede
81. St Boniface
82. Ambrose Autpert
83. St Germanus
86. Rabanus Maurus
89. St Odo of Cluny
90. St Peter Damian
92. St Anselm
101. Rupert of Deutz
102. John of Salisbury
103. Peter Lombard
104. The Mendicant Orders
105. St Francis of Assisi
106. St Dominic Guzman
107. St Anthony Of Padua
108. St Bonaventure (1)
109. St Bonaventure (2)
110. St Bonaventure (3)
111. St Albert The Great
114. St Thomas Aquinas (3).
115. John Duns Scotus.
116. St Hildegard (1).
117. St Hildegard (2).
118. St Clare of Assisi.
119. St Matilda.
120. St Gertrude.
122. St Elizabeth of Hungary.
123. St Bridget of Sweden.
124. Marguerite d’ Oingt.
125. St Juliana of Cornillon.
126. St Catherine of Siena.
127. Julian of Norwich.
128. St Veronica Giuliani.
129. St Catherine of Bologna.
130. St Catherine of Genoa.
131. St Joan of Arc.
132. St Peter Canisius.
133. St John of the Cross.
134. St Robert Bellarmine.
135. St Francis De Sales.
136. St Lawrence of Brindisi.
138. St Alphonsus Liguori.
139. St Theresa of Lisieux.
Catechesis on Prayer:
12. Art and Prayer.
13. Psalm 3.
14. Psalm 22.
15. Psalm 23.
16. Psalm 126.
17. Psalm 136.
18. Psalm 119.
19. Psalm 110.
Catechesis for The Year of St Paul:
Eschatology: the Expectation of the Parousia (Second Coming)